Friday, November 20, 2009

Saving Angela

“My greatest disappointments in life are when I ask anyone or anything other than Jesus Christ to be my savior.” -- Jon Acuff

This is one truth that I have always known, but in all honesty, it is also one that I always tend to forget. There are times when I start to create expectations out of certain things turning it into a "must" and thinking that it will eventually turn things around for me or make things better. Jon Acuff describes this one as "having savior moments".

I used to think that if only I have a/an (insert expensive trendy "it" item here) it would at least make me even a bit happier. Just a bit because I still have the brains to remember that temporary things will never complete us, especially since it is temporary.

I used to think that if only I have a boyfriend, then I would not have lonely days, and he would be able to ease all my hurts, and fill up the empty space in my heart.

I used to think that if only I have a job, I would have the money and it would make things better for me. It would make me happier and it would make me a better person. Having a job would also say good things about me, right?

I used to think a lot of things would help me but that is and never will be the case.

If we always put our trust in temporary things, in relationships, and whatnot, then surely we would really end up dissapointed. All these things will soon disappear, it will soon fail, it will soon fall short of our expectations. Only Christ can save us. Only Christ can change us. Only Christ can make a difference in our lives. This is the truth I've always known, this is the truth that God keeps reminding us over and over again. I hope from now on I won't need to be reminded once again and that I will always place my trust in God and look to Him first and foremost.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A Verse to Remember

"Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture."

- Psalm 100:3 (NIV)

And I Quote

"When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now. In so far as I learn to love my earthly dearest at the expense of God and instead of God, I shall be moving towards the state in which I shall not love my earthly dearest at all. When first things are put first, second things are not suppressed but increased"

- C.S. Lewis